Friday, February 5, 2010

Zoom! Zoom! Zoom! I'm off to the Moon! by Dan Yaccarino



This is a wonderful little rhyming book about a boy who goes to the moon. He is such a happy, adventurous young boy. His imagination runs wild as he puts his spacesuit on, jumps in the rocket, and lifts off into space. It’s interesting that most of the illustrations on each page look cartoonish but certain elements of it make it look like a painting. I don’t like the way the illustrator tries to make it all blend together. I know it is done on watercolor paper but it doesn’t work for me. I do, however, love the image of the little boy in his spacesuit, especially when he sees his humungous shadow on the moon. That made me grin a bit.

I thought the illustrations were very big, bright, and bubbly. To me, that says she is trying to attract a young audience. On the other hand, many people, any age, are fascinated by giant pictures and bright colors. It is a fairly simple read for younger children. I like the number counting it includes during take-off because it adds educational value to it while having fun reading it. They had a cute and clever way of displaying the publishing and copyright information. It was typed up in the shape of a spaceship which added to the theme of the story. Overall, it is a very catchy phrased story that almost makes me want to sing the words aloud.

No comments:

Post a Comment