Thursday, February 18, 2010

Tomatoes From Mars by Arthur Yorinks


My impression or inclination toward the interpretation of this book was that the tomatoes were so bland that everyone was running away from them. What they needed was some salad dressing and garlic to spice up the tomatoes a bit. It is quite humorous if you take a child’s point of view. If I was a child, the first thing I would think about if something was going to try to attack me is, “what do they want?” Apparently, the salad dressing is what stopped the tomatoes from attacking. Of course, it is not what the tomatoes wanted so in actuality the tomatoes hated the dressing because it prevented them from attacking earth. I think it could be a bit confusing for some students but for others they may love seeing the illustrations of tomatoes smashing the earth’s surface causing everything to turn red. I think it is always fun when you get children to expand their imagination. Having the whole world turn red must have meant these were pretty enormous tomatoes.

Additionally, the story started on the second page and the copyright information was on the fourth page. After the copyright information, it flipped to a new scene. It actually looked really neat because it looked like a scene from a movie. Many times in movies they have a pre-introduction of the movie before they show the title and I believe it creates a more suspenseful effect of wondering what is going to happen next. Not a book that I would recommend but it did take reality and develop an imaginative feel to it at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment