Friday, February 5, 2010

Unlovable by Dan Yaccarino


This starts out as a sad story about a tiny dog, Alfred, who feels unlovable because everyone thinks he is small and ugly. He finally met a dog that liked him just the way he was. I think this is a great book to represent someone gaining confidence in them self. The poor little dog felt like he had to pretend he was something he wasn’t in order to feel like he was lovable. When, in fact, I believe he needed to first accept himself for who he was. I wish I could have just swooped up the little doggy in my arms and gave him a big hug and a kiss. I felt sorry for him but was so happy to see that he realized he didn’t have to pretend to be something he was not. I am so glad he found someone that liked him for him. When I look at the illustrations it appears that all the other animals are all giving Alfred dirty looks or brushing him off. The illustrator does a great job painting a picture of everyone’s actions and mannerisms. Everyone else looks so mean but not sweet little Alfred. If I could jump in the book and talk to Alfred I would tell him that these other animals are just a bunch of bullies. There is no reason they should be making fun of Alfred. He didn’t do anything to them. I really got into this book because I can relate it to some of the unnecessary drama that happens in upper elementary, junior high, and high school. I think the animals that were picking on Alfred should have been reprimanded or had other consequences such as being put in a cage as a timeout. However, the focus is probably supposed to be more towards Alfred and his emotional and mental growth with his self-esteem and confidence. I praise him for how far he can. The ending was the best part. Of course, it probably would not have been the best part if we hadn’t known how he started out. I love little Alfred.

No comments:

Post a Comment