Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Giver by Lois Lowry



I found this book very addicting. I had trouble putting it down because the suspense of what was going to happen next was killing me. It gave me a new perspective on equality. After reading this book I have a deeper appreciation for the world’s uniqueness. It’s kind of weird how they don’t keep track of age after twelve. I disagree with a lot of way things were strictly run in this community but maybe that’s why I found it so interesting. However, I did find the ending to be quite complex and confusing. All of a sudden, the book ended after Jonas and Gabriel reached the top of the hill. Did they reach a new community? I wasn’t entirely sure. There were many things that were quite abstract. How did they take away all of the color and everyone’s memories in Jonas’ old community?

I find it interesting that the author states that Jonas’ first lie was when he told his parents that he understood why it was inappropriate to use the word love. This wasn’t his first lie though. He previously had been lying about if he was having any dreams. Also, it is disturbing to me that Jonas’ father is a Nurturer yet he kills babies if they don’t meet their milestones. Everyone’s freedom is taken away in this new community of what they call “sameness.” They live in a community that doesn’t allow you to make your own choices. I think living and unexciting dreary life would be miserable. I couldn’t imagine not having the choice to have happiness and love even if pain is sprinkled in along the way. Honestly, I feel a lot of strong opinions I have regarding certain aspects of the book but at the same time I absolutely loved it and was drawn to the book from start to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment