Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Stupids Take Off by Harry Allard


This is one of a series of books of The Stupids. Each book they go on a different adventure. The book is actually quite funny. They do a lot of odd things such as grow a garden of pencils, build diving board over the grass, wear diving equipment to bed, etc. However, even though their family’s last name is Stupid, the way they refer to them may seem very offensive. It sounds like they are being called stupid and kids may interpret it to be funny to call someone stupid. They say things for example, “the two Stupid kids.” To me, and probably most children, it sounds like they are calling those kids stupid. This sends a horrible message to children when trying to instill the value of being kind and respectful of one another. Since I am an adult, I fully understand and recognize the humor in it but I do not believe it is appropriate for children. I think if they make a simple change of switching the family’s last name it would be a magnificent children’s book. They should change it to the “Odd” family since they don’t do stupid things, they do odd things. Additionally, at the end they say, “That always happens sometimes.” How does something always happen sometimes? It doesn’t make any sense but at the same time I find it quite hilarious. Just change the family’s last name and it’s good to go in my opinion.

2 comments:

  1. I read The Stupids Have a Ball, and I agree that the way the family is referred to seems offensive. Since the family’s last name is Stupid, it sounds like they are calling each other stupid. There are many parents who do not want their children using the word stupid. I agree with you on the fact that kids may find it funny to call someone stupid. Kids learn about showing respect to one another, and calling people stupid does not reflect that. This is not a book series that I would want in my classroom. I agree with you that if the family’s last name was changed, this would be a good book. This series is funny, but I don’t like the family’s last name. The simple change of the last name would make me appreciate the books so much more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, this is not a book series that I would want in my classroom either. I read this book, and found some parts funny, but did not understand why the author had to use Stupid as their last name. I think the book would be just as funny if the author would have used a different name!

    ReplyDelete