Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Babysitters Club by Ann M. Martin


This was a surprisingly excellent graphic novel. I had never read a graphic novel before and was expecting it to be quite difficult to read. I mean, not having the descriptive details that are in regular novels made me question the ability a graphic novel has to be successful in telling a story equal to or better than a novel with only words. In actuality, it was fairly easy to read compared to some regular novels. The scenes flew by. There were times when I liked the images painting a picture for me but at other times I had wished that I could have painted my own picture in my mind. Since I have read one of the regular Babysitter’s Club novels, it was nice that I was able to compare or contrast it to The Babysitter’s Club graphic novel. I wished there were more details in the graphic novel version, maybe as a side note or foot note. However, I’m sure the point is to leave a lot of room open for interpretation. On the other hand, there were other ways I was able to use my imagination in this graphic novel. For instance, when I saw a picture of the little boy yelling and read what he was saying I could immediately picture in my head how he was moving his mouth, what his face looked like, and how angry he really was. Formulating a still image was obviously already done for me so all I had to do was make the picture come alive in my mind. If there were no drawings I would have had envisioned the characters in color. Instead, I see them as colorless characters. I am curious as to why the author and illustrator chose to make everything black and white. I, personally, would have liked to seem some color to give it more special effects to make everything look more lively and vivacious. I very surprised but, nonetheless, incredibly impressed the power and impact a graphic novel had on me. I am curious as to what other graphic novels have to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment