Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Five Senses: Treasures Outside by Jane Belk Moncure


The first thing I noticed was the inside cover pages. They instantly grabbed my attention. It was so colorful and bright. There are kids exploring the world in all kinds of ways. It just puts an exciting start to the beginning of the story.
I was delighted to see when they were teaching the senses that they compared and contrasted them to animals. Knowing the importance of our senses is very important for children to know. Not taking care of our senses and possibly losing only one of our senses can have a dramatic and devasting impact on our life. I actually did not even realize until reading this book that there were certain areas on the tongue that taste sweet things, another area for sour, as well as salty, and bitter. That's a neat fact! I really enjoyed this book because it was relatable to me. I without doubt believe this is a book children need to read. This book makes learning fun and encouraging wanting to learn more about the senses. I absolutely loved the illustrations. I liked that each page was a continuation of walking through the museum. Also, it was wonderful watching the different ways the professor taught the little girl about each of the five senses. It has hands-on experiments that you can try in the safety of your home! It was a great way to end the book. I can promise that I will have a book like this in my classroom or I will at least use one of these experiments as an in-class activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment