Friday, February 5, 2010

Ruby's Wish by Shirin Yim Bridges


This is a true story that takes place in China around the late 1800’s. This little girl, Ruby, writes a poem in school about how boys are treated better than girls. Surprisingly, even during that time period, it catches her father’s attention. I was taken off guard when Ruby’s father approaches her and questions her about it. Since families were very strict and hitting was aloud, I was worried for her safety. I imagined the sound of his voice to be very domineering and frightening, especially if I was a young child. However, I was pleasantly surprised with both Ruby and her father. Ruby, was honest, and told her father she didn’t think it was fair that her brothers were able to go to college and she was not. I think her father realized that it meant everything to her. I think it also shows that honesty is the best policy. Even though her father is intimidating, Ruby was brave enough to ask for what she wanted and deserved. I am proud of her. I could tell that her father was too. In fact, he enrolled her as one of the first few women to attend college. She got her wish! Now that she spread her wings all she has to do is fly! It is pretty exciting that Ruby’s granddaughter wrote this book. It is like getting a brief history lesson. The illustrations even matched the time period. There were a lot of brown and neutral colors. Not one of my favorite illustrations but it got the messages across.

No comments:

Post a Comment