Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Why do we laugh? Questions children ask about the HUMAN BODY by Terry Martin

This is a fun book with a lot of interesting facts for children to learn. Some of the basic questions such as why do I lose my baby teeth, why do I have eyelashes, or why does my heart beat faster when I run are answered. It simplifies answers to many of these common questions. The set up of how they display each fact is in no particular order. It sometimes has a fact at the top, left, and right of the pages. Other times it has two facts on the left and one on the right. It also has facts at the bottom on certain pages. Basically, it is scattered all over. I think it adds excitement to the pages. I like that around each fact is a picture that relates to that particular question. I noticed that when they talk about hiccups, hunger, and thirst they have pictures of all healthy snacks such as fruit, vegetables, turkey sandwiches, salad, juice, and water. I think this helps promote healthy learning and healthy eating. I also like the fact that there is a lot of diversity on each page. There are children of different ages as well as different ethnicities.

It is always great to see candid photos which this book brilliantly emphasized. These children look genuinely happy about what they are doing and how they are exploring. The words are nice and big and easy to read. However, the inside of the cover page is just the opposite. It is a picture of a crowd of people but it is extremely blurry and I cannot make out a single thing. I’m not sure if it is supposed to represent the confusion children have about the human body but that is my best guess. If it were up to me I would have changed the inside cover page to maybe be a picture of the inside of the human body to give the readers a mini science lesson so they know where things are such as the lungs and heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment