Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Mother's Day Sandwich by Jillian Wynot


This is an adorable book about two little kids who try to make their mother breakfast in bed for Mother’s Day. When they set the tray down on the bed and yell “Surprise!” everything spills everywhere. I admire that instead of the mother getting frantic or upset she giggled. That part made me smile because it completely lightened the mood and didn’t make the kids feel bad for scaring their mother. It was the effort that counted, and to me, it appears that the mother instinctively knew that right away.

The illustrations were excellent. I thought it was so cute to see the little girl dressed in oversize clothes. Everyone looked so comfy. It was great the way they showed some scenes close up and zoomed in while some were from a distance. Also, I noticed some illustrations encompassed the whole page while other images were framed in half or portion of a page. It looked beautiful and I think that was a great choice and wonderful idea! The drawings looked like they were done in stencil. I think it blended beautifully with the theme because it created a childlike feel to it. It is funny how the Mother’s Day sandwich is actually the two kids squeezing together with the mom in-between. It brings back a lot of (good) memories from my experiences I had with my mother on Mother’s Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment