Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Hannah is My Name by Belle Yang


This is such an inspirational book about a little Chinese girl named Na-Li and her parents who come to the United States to become Americans. As soon as they move, Na-Li’s parents change her name to Hannah to be more American. After they arrive, they immediately apply for their green cards in order to truly feel free like every other American. However, there are a lot of struggles along the way. While they are waiting for their green cards, Hannah’s mother or father are legally not allowed to work in America. Hannah’s father does, however, manage to find a man who will secretly hire him for a low paying job at a hotel. The story is so uplifting and the little girl is so charismatic. I love the illustrations. They are so detailed and full of expression. They are very attractive looking for young readers.

It is a great book to get a perspective from immigrants moving to the United States and how it feels for them as they are adapting to a new way of life and a drastically different culture. I also enjoyed this book because it is very relatable to any child who is new to something, somewhere, or somebody. This could be anything from moving to a different school, joining a club or team, or anywhere else that a child may go that is unfamiliar or involves many new experiences. There are countless times that I can look back and remember on the first day I felt alone and then over time become so comfortable that it is hard to think about how alone I felt in the beginning. No matter what they have been through with their experiences they will always stick together. I really appreciate how it teaches and puts a strong emphasis on family values. They have faith, hope, and dreams and are determined to make all of them happen. This would be a great book to read if a student needs some encouragement or motivation. It makes me feel grateful for what I have in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment