Friday, March 26, 2010

I'm the Boss by Elizabeth Winthrop


At first, my prediction is that it is a feisty young child who constantly demands things as if she is the boss of the family. What I come to learn, though, is for a day she dresses up as a grown-up and pretends she is the boss. This is such an adorable book that brings me back to a lot of past times. I remember when I used to play ‘house’ and sometimes I was the mom while other times I was the baby. I couldn’t wait to play and make believe. It’s funny how when you’re a kid you so badly want to be a grown up but when you’re a grown up you would just love to be a kid again. When I was a kid I remember thinking it could never be possible to be a grown up except for in my imagination. I mean, I knew I was getting older everyday but I really didn’t have a true concept of reality of how I would be as a grown-up even when I tried to picture it in my head. I think some of it had to do with the fact that I could only think in concrete terms rather than abstractly. I tried to fathom someday I would be a grown-up but I didn’t believe in my heart that I would actually be one before the age of eleven. I love the light-heartedness of this story. It had a wonderful ending with Julia training her dog and finally getting to be the boss of somebody. In the end, she realized she gained a companion. It made me smile.

1 comment:

  1. And your lovely review certainly made this author smile!

    Elizabeth Winthrop

    ReplyDelete