Saturday, March 27, 2010

Elbert's Bad Word by Audrey Wood


This was a picture book about a young boy who learns a bad word at an adult dinner party. He then carries it on into his own experiences. It basically manifests into a word Elbert thought was acceptable. It makes me realize how crucial one word can really impact a group. Of course, there a lot of factors that plays into the context of how it comes across. This is basically what deciphers the strength of the word. I know from my experience kids are not expected to say bad words and that’s where is becomes the more of a shock. This is where I think it is desperately essential for adults to model the correct behavior because children are like sponges and they will soak up everything you say and do. However I am strongly against the method they used to punish him to teach Elbert not to say bad words. Maybe metaphorically it seems to make sense to wash his mouth out with soap but that not only does not rid the child from saying a bad word, it also does not promote a positive attitude or good behavior. If I had to predict I would assume he will soon rebel in other ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment