Saturday, March 27, 2010

GO TO BED, MONSTER! by Natasha Wing


This is about an adventure between a child and a pretend monster who comes alive after she draws him with the help of her crayons. This reminds me a lot of role reversal. The young child becomes the fun loving parent who attends to their child’s needs except can only take so much. It is interesting how children only see the fun side of things instead of all the work that comes along with it. This is similar to the picture book, “Daddy, Could I Have an Elephant” because the child wants to take on the role as a grown-up.

I find it fascinating that the child is extremely young but manages to read and read and read to the monster. I’m not sure if she is pretending to read based of the pictures she sees on the pages or is actually reading. I know in my practicum class I work with kindergarteners who cannot read but analyze what is going on with the illustrations and attempt to make up their own interpretations or story of what is happening. I also noticed how wise this child is for her age in other aspects of her life such as grooming and her nurturing nature. Stories like these are reminders for me to never underestimate a child’s intelligence. I hope someday I will truly appreciate my child’s imagination. Through this book, it helped me recognize what they really have to offer. It reminded me of the book “I’m the Boss” in the sense of reminiscing about past time and childhood fantasies. I thought the inside cover pages were a unique addition to the story. It contains more drawings from the little girl, in crayon again. The book gave the impression that everything was supposed to look like it had been drawn from crayons, especially the monster. However, surprisingly, it was done using oil paints and pastels.

No comments:

Post a Comment