Saturday, March 27, 2010

Daddy, Could I Have an Elephant? by Jake Wolf


This is a cute little story about a little boy wanting something. He feels he needs a companion but honestly doesn’t have any concept of the process of taking care of it. It reminds me of the things I used to wonder about when I was a child. I think it’s great that they have just the boy and his father. It helps represent the ever-growing non-stereotypical family. They show immense love and happiness with one another which I believe resonates through to its readers showing them what a strong bond they have between each other.

On the contrary, I wonder if this young boy is actually trying to outsmart his dad. Instead of starting with asking for a dog or cat and risking his father’s rejection of the idea he starts with asking to own a wild animal or two. I’m not sure which way I want to go on this one. However, if my child presented me with the ideas of different wild animals to have as pets I would probably soon compromise and suggest settling with a cat or dog. The cartoonish style drawings of the animals really add a strong connection to the words on each page. The illustrations were very fun-loving and made me chuckle throughout the story. It is a marvelous family book.

No comments:

Post a Comment