Saturday, January 23, 2010

When Papa Comes Home Tonight by Eileen Spinelli


This book is a great story about the bond between a boy and his father. The child anxiously waits at the gate for his father to come home from work to spend time with him. They do everything together from the time the father gets home from work until they go to sleep. I really took pleasure in reading this book because I believe that it is extremely important to cherish the quality time parents spend with their children. Interestingly enough, the message this book leaves seems to be directed towards the parent who may be reading this book to their child.

When I read this book I got the sense of time being the most precious thing I own as a parent. Spending time with our children is so important. Also, being a hands-on parent, which these great illustrations demonstrate, gives the reader a strong sense that family matters. I noticed that the boy and his father didn’t do anything special like take fancy trips across the country. They, however, did make dinner together, do dishes together, put on their pajamas together, and read a bedtime story together. The point is, that I loved, is that they did everything together and the boy couldn’t have been happier. It just shows that when you make family a priority, everything else falls into place more easily. A fantastic read!

No comments:

Post a Comment