Friday, January 29, 2010

Up, Up, Up! It's Apple Picking Time by Jody Fickes Shapiro



A family with a little boy and girl drive to an apple-orchard where their grandparents live. They grow, pick, and sell all kinds of apples. It reminds me of when I was a kid and how excited I would get to help my grandma in the kitchen. I felt so special and these kids are so happy to be a part of this and help their grandparents in the orchard.

It brings back the warm memories of tradition. Grandma and Grandpa pass down some excellent recipes to make with apples. I like how they call the smell of apples in an orchard “apple-orchard perfume.” It makes my smelling senses kick in and imagine what it would really smell like.

It’s a great lesson in learning several different types of apples. The pictures almost look like paintings because the colors look like brush strokes. The beautiful illustrations make it appear to be a very sensory rich environment. It is a wonderful family story.

No comments:

Post a Comment