Thursday, January 28, 2010

I Love The Rain by Margaret Park Bridges



This is about two girls who are waiting for the bus for school. It is pouring rain outside and one girl cannot stand the rain. The other girl is absolutely in love with the rain and starts sharing with the other girl some of the joy she receives when it rains.

There were great metaphors in this book. When the girls were on the bus they said there were people tap dancing on the roof. I like the fact that there is an actual picture of a bunch of feet dancing on the roof. Other than that illustration, I didn’t care for much of the imagery in this book. The colors were too smudged together. Of course, I guess that’s what you get when it’s raining. So, if that is what they were going for then I guess it makes sense. However, I think it was exaggerated a bit too much for my liking.

Then again, I loved the mood change in one of the girls. She went from being bummed out because of the rain to falling in love with it! I think that tells readers to make the most out of the situation you have been given. I am also very fond that it encourages making believing the rain drops turn into imaginative objects. It leaves a lot open to interpretation which can draw a child’s curiosity and make learning fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment