Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Year of Impossible Goodbyes by Sook Nyui Choi


This is quite fascinating reading from a perspective of a Korean girl after reading So Far From the Bamboo Grove from the perspective of a Japanese girl. It makes me wonder what it would have been like from the view of a male enlisting during this time.

Honestly, I was surprised to hear Mother’s story and that she made it to the south side alive. The whole experience for everyone involved was amazing to see them fight through all of this. It was unfortunate to read that Kisa and Aunt Tiger didn’t make it out alive. I am very proud of them for making it through all of those trials and tribulations. I was kind of taken back that Sook and Inchun opened up about trying to find their mother after crossing the border after being betrayed by the guide who helped the Russians capture their mother. It’s interesting how Sook emotions about the Russians fluctuated throughout the novel. At first she somewhat trusts them, then is afraid of them and wants to escape them and flee to the south. She appears to have somewhat mixed feelings the whole time which is a big confusing but intriguing nonetheless. It is almost as if she wants to take a liking to them but has to keep her guard up and remind herself of all the horrible things they are doing in the North to innocent families. It is neat how you learn a few words and terms in Korean and Japanese. I felt sad when the Japanese cut down Grandfather’s pine tree and then he died three days later. Also, if Kisa and Aunt Tiger would have tried to cross the border at the same time as Mother, I wonder if they would have eventually made it to the South alive. I have no doubt they would have been captured. What I am not sure of is if they would have been slain or forced into slavery. It was interesting how they began to label everyone as either in the group pink or red. My impression was that the pinks were those on the north that were not as loyal to the Russians as the Reds were. The Reds were known to be brainwashed and basically followed the commander.

Another thing I noticed was that Sook was often called Nuna by her younger brother Inchun. I was wondering if it meant either person in charge or guide. Maybe Nuna meant older sister or sibling? Either way, being called Nuna I assumed had a sense of responsibility attached to it. I think Sook felt an obligation to protect her younger brother. However, Sook seemed a little jealous of her older sister Theresa who became a nun. All and all, there is a lot of substance in this book to dissect. I think it is a book children should read to get a better understanding of our history. Stories like these, I feel, give children a better understanding of our history than just a book of listed facts.

No comments:

Post a Comment