Sunday, April 11, 2010

Foods of Italy by Barbara Sheen


This is a wonderful book to expand a child’s knowledge about foods from a different culture, country, and even continent! It does a great job of developing the main ideas of the literature. I have grown to realize that I really enjoy reading informational books. This book has such a way of making the facts so intriguing. The educational value is very important to me and that children will mostly likely find it useful. I would use this book to teach a lesson about the four main ingredients used in Italy as well as the significance of the varieties of pasta.

The illustrations are extremely realistic and truly painted a picture in my mind of what it would be like to experience the foods of Italy. It was very appealing and mouth watering to see and learn about the different dishes they most commonly prepared for their people. I felt like I wanted to join in and celebrate with them and their culture. I personally love Italian food. It is a favorite of mine! I wouldn’t talk about the wine like they touched on. However, by mentioning it, it does make it more real in feeling the sense of the experience of being in Italy.

No comments:

Post a Comment